Films & Permits

Filming in Marin County and Unincorporated Areas

Permit Alerts: Marin County Parks, County roads, and Marin Municipal Water District are now processing new applications accompanied with a Marin approved Site-SpecificProtection-Plan.

1. Applicants are asked to confirm which property they wish to use and are directed to our County Parks Reopening Status web page Updates. These open/closed locations will be revised as new county health orders are issued.
2. Once a location is confirmed, they receive the usual permit application documents
3. Below is the email message sent to the Open Space District permit holders. New permit applicants will also need to follow this protocol for the foreseeable future and provide a Site-Specific Protection Plan (there is an online fillable form through the link in item #2 below). This also applies to our Regional Parks.

If you wish to resume permitted use of MCOSD preserves for your Essential Business / Outdoor Business, you must first do the following: 

  1. Review the Guidelines for Businesses section of the Marin Recovers website. The reopening process is anticipated to change over time in response to public health data, and the latest updates to guidelines for business and the public will be maintained on the Marin Recovers website at Marin’s process follows state guidance, accounts for local health conditions, and includes a robust partnership with local governments and the business community. 
    1. Find guidance for your specific business type in the left navigation bar
    2. If you do not see your specific business type listed, please submit your inquiry here.
  2. Create COVID-19 Site-Specific Protection Plan (SPP) per guidance from  Marin Recovers Guidelines for Businesses site, current Marin County Health Orders, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  3. Provide MCOSD with a letter or email with your business name stating that you have reviewed the current Marin Recovers Guidelines and Marin County Health Order(s) and have prepared a site-specific protection plan (SPP) for your business and use of MCOSD in alignment with current Guidelines / Health Order.
  4. Forward your completed SPP to MCOSD to file with your permit.

Groups must be limited to a maximum of 12 individuals per group, excluding any instructors or other Personnel. Up to 4 Personnel may be present.  Youth under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Please remember there may still be parking restrictions at some MCOSD preserve access locations. Parking restrictions may continue or be reinstated; it is up to you to observe the parking regulations and park appropriately.

1. Filming in Marin Municipal Water District 
For all inquiries contact:
Laurie Offenbach, Film Permit Coordinator
Marin Municipal Water District
Phone: 415-945-1180
Land Use Regulations Permit allowed during daylight hours only

2. Filming in Marin County Parks - includes Upton Beach (north of Stinson Beach)
For all inquiries contact:
Jen Fujimoto/Office Assistant ll 
Marin County Parks
3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 260
San Rafael, CA  94903
Phone: 415-473-7608
Fax: 415-473-7192
Location List and Maps

Must permit a minimum of 10 business days in advance/10 hour day maximum

3. Filming in Marin Open Space Preserves 
For all inquiries contact:
Jen Fujimoto/Office Assistant ll 
Marin County Parks
3501 Civic Center Drive, Suite 260
San Rafael, CA  94903
Phone: 415-473-7608
Fax: 415-473-7192
Location List and Maps

Must permit a minimum of 10 business days in advance/10 hour day maximum

4. Filming on County Roads, Highways and Unincorporated Areas of Marin County
Marin County Department of Public Works
Land Development Division
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 304
San Rafael, CA 94913
In response to the COVID-19 emergency, the Public Works office will be closed to public access but will continue to provide essential services.
The Public Works office can be reached at (415) 473-6528 
Fax: (415) 473-3799
Permit submitted via Email:
Must permit a minimum of 5 working days in advance

Film Permit Road Regulations for Marin County

For Marin County Public Works, Land Development website:

For Film and Encroachment Permit Forms: MarinCountyFilmPermitForms

A Film and Encroachment Permit must be obtained from DPW for filming on all Marin County maintained roads. Film permit applications must be submitted a minimum of three days in advance of requested dates of filming. The filming fee is $500 per day plus a one-time encroachment fee of $256.77. The permit needs to be kept at the site.

Once the application and paperwork have been approved through the county, coordination of the actual filming on roads or highways should be made by first contacting:
For California Highway Patrol support, contact the CHP Film Media Relations Officer at the CFC:
California Highway Patrol Liaison
Officer Ian Ramer, Filming Liaison / Media Relations 
Phone:  (323) 817-4103
Mobile: (213) 703-2070

Local Marin CHP Contact:
Officer Robert Winnie 
California Highway Patrol - Corte Madera
Phone: 415-924-1100 x 241

5. Filming on the Golden Gate Bridge
For all inquiries contact:
Priya Clemens, Public Affairs Director: 415-317-2222
Email:, 30-day advance request required
Film/ Photo Permit Information:

6. Filming at the Marin Civic Center/Frank Lloyd Wright Designed Building - not open yet for filming
For all (film/photo) interior building inquiries contact:
Tammy Taylor, Marin County Community Development Agency
Phone: 415-473-7873

For all (film/photo) exterior building inquiries contact:
Land Development Department
Marin Civic Center
Phone: 415-473-3755 (Monday through Thursday)

7. Filming at the Marin Center Exhibit Hall, Showcase Theater, and Fairgrounds - not open yet for filming
For all (film/photo) interior and exterior inquiries contact:
Libby Garrison, Marketing & Communications - County of Marin 
10 Avenue of the Flags, San Rafael, CA 94903 
Phone: 415 473 6014


View running video of Conzelman Road in the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA)

Meet Your Film Liaison



Deborah Albre
Film Liaison and Creative Services

Marin Film Resource Office
1 Mitchell Blvd., STE B
San Rafael, CA 94903
Direct Cell: 415-297-1611