Questions and Answers
1. How do I get to Muir Woods/Bear Valley Visitor Center/Point Reyes Station/ Point Reyes Lighthouse & Visitor Center?
Reserve a seat on the shuttle for $3 per adult (16 years and older) or a parking space at the woods for $8.00 via www.gomuirwoods.org. A vehicle or shuttle reservation provides the visitor with a timed arrival with no restriction on the length of stay for the remainder of the day. Visitors age 16 or older are required to pay a $15 park admission entrance fee in addition to any parking or shuttle reservation fees.
The shuttle can be boarded at the Pohono Park & Ride lot, 100 Shoreline Highway in Mill Valley.
By passenger car, directions are as follows:
- From Hwy. 101, Exit Hwy. 1/Stinson Beach
- Follow the signs to Muir Woods National Monument
Bear Valley Visitors Center
The road to the Bear Valley Visitors Center is a windy road through the countryside.
- From Hwy 101, Exit at Lucas Valley Road
- Continue to Nicasio Valley Road and turn left
- Turn Right on Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
- Sir Francis Drake Blvd. intersects Hwy. 1; turn right and follow the signs to Bear Valley Road
- Please note Sir Francis Drake Blvd. between Hwy. 101 and Fairfax is a highly traveled local route; we encourage you to use this alternate route.
Point Reyes Station
The road to Point Reyes Station is a windy road through the countryside.
- From Hwy 101, Exit at Lucas Valley Road
- Continue to Nicasio Valley Road and turn right
- Turn left on Point Reyes-Petaluma Road and it leads to the community of Point Reyes Station
Point Reyes Lighthouse and Visitor Center
Depending on your travel plans, follow the above directions to either Bear Valley Visitors Center or Point Reyes Station; both meet up with Sir Francis Drake Blvd, which directly leads to the Lighthouse and Visitor Center, about 20 miles.
Please note: Even if you do not elect to descend the 300 steps down to the Lighthouse, please be prepared for fog and windy weather.
2. What are traffic conditions in Marin County? How long does it take to get to San Francisco, Point Reyes and Wine Country?
Traffic conditions throughout Marin County vary depending on the time of day. We strongly encourage the use of public transportation and carpooling.
With no traffic, a trip to San Francisco will take about 20 minutes; a trip to Point Reyes will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour; a trip to Sonoma County will be about 30 minutes, and a trip to Napa will be about 1 hour.
Please check all current traffic conditions by dialing 511 or visiting www.511org.
3. How do I find out about ferries to San Francisco?
Passenger ferry services to San Francisco run out of Larkspur on a daily basis. Weekday ferry service begins at 5:50am and the last ferry departing for San Francisco leaves at 8:50pm. Weekend ferry service is more limited. Please call 511 or visit www.511.org for the ferry schedule and prices.
4. Where can I have a meeting?
Please refer to our website under Meetings and Events. For more specific information, please contact Christine Bohlke, Sales and Marketing Director, Marin Convention & Visitors Bureau at 415-925-2060.
5. What are some Lodging/RV/Camping options?
Please refer to our website under “Places to Stay” for lodging information and “Things to Do” for camping information. For more specific information, please call our office Monday – Friday at 415-925-2060.
6. Where can I find more information on local, state, and federal parks?
Please refer to the following website links for local parks: http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/pk/main/pos/parklist.cfm
Please refer to the following website link for state parks: www.parks.ca.gov
Please refer to the following website link for national or federal parks: www.nps.gov
7. Where can I take my dog to the beach? Are there any pet-friendly hotels?
Marin is very pet-friendly and offers a number of amenities for the pet owner.
For a complete list of pet-friendly beaches and hotels, please visit our website, or stop by our office to get a copy, or contact our office Monday – Friday at 415-925-2060.
8. What about Farmers Markets?
There are a variety of Farmers Markets throughout Marin County. The most popular farmers market is the Marin Farmers Market that is featured at the Civic Center, in San Rafael, every Thursday and Sunday from 8am to 1pm. For more information, please visit www.agricuturalinstitute.org.
9. What are some outdoor activities (biking, hiking, kayaking) to do for the day?
Marin is home to hundreds of outdoor activities. Please refer to our website under “Things to Do – Outdoor Activities.” You may also call us at 415-925-2060 for more specific questions.
10. By city, what are some of the annual events?
The Marin Convention & Visitors Bureau represents eight communities inside Marin, including Corte Madera, Fairfax, Larkspur, Mill Valley, Novato, San Anselmo, San Rafael, and the West Marin Visitors Bureau / Point Reyes.
Please refer to our website to review our special events by month.
11. How do I get to the airport?
The most frequented airports are not in Marin County, but directions are as follows:
San Francisco International Airport
From Marin County, take 101 South to the San Francisco International Airport exit. Choose between Domestic and International flights then follow the signs to Arrivals, Departures or Hourly Parking.
Charles Schultz Sonoma County Airport
The Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport is located approximately 65 miles north of San Francisco, 4 miles north of Santa Rosa, and 55 miles south of Ukiah.
To get to the Airport from Marin County, travel north on Highway 101 and take the Airport Boulevard exit. Go west on Airport Boulevard for about 1.5 miles until it ends at the Airport terminal and parking.
Oakland International Airport
From Marin County to the Oakland International Airport, take the I-580 exit towards the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge to Hwy I-880/W Grand Avenue towards San Jose. Merge onto I-880 south and exit at either Hegenberger Road or 98th Avenue.
From the Hegenberger Road exit, turn right at the stoplight. Continue straight to the airport. Cross Doolittle Drive (SR 61) and pass beneath the airport's entrance arch and continue straight to Airport Drive and the airport.
From the 98th Avenue exit, turn right at the stoplight. Continue straight to Airport Drive and the airport.
Use the right lanes for Terminal 1 passenger pick-up and drop-off.
Use the left lanes for Terminal 2 passenger pick-up and drop-off.
San Jose International Airport
From Marin County to Mineta San Jose International Airport, take Highway 101 Southbound. Using US-101 Southbound, take the Hwy 87 exit. Take the Skyport Drive exit to the Airport.