Ross Valley Players
30 Sir Francis Drake Boulevard
Ross, CA 94957
Ross Valley Players were founded by Beth Lloyd and a small group of women in 1930 as a way to escape the hardships of the Depression. After first performing in various indoor and outdoor venues, including the Mount Tamalpais Amphitheater, the Kittle estate offered the group a large red barn in 1939. The land on which the barn stands is now part of the Marin Art and Garden Center. Originally owned by James Ross, for whom the town of Ross is named, the land was settled by Ross’ daughter and her husband George Warn.
Originally built in 1864 and fallen into disuse, the barn was far from performance ready. Jumping at the chance for a permanent home, the Players cleaned out hay lofts, removed farming equipment, constructed a stage, bathrooms, a seating area, and added lighting. Their first performance in their new home was a staged reading of
Life With Father in 1940.