Date: Thursday, June 6, 2019
The Osher Marin JCC is honored to be the host sponsor for this heady and heartfelt TEDxSalon on The Brain and Consciousness. This salon will explore the latest research on meditation, dementia, and consciousness itself. Remarkable new evidence will be shared about what happens in the brain (second by second) when we bring focus inward, and why it’s so beneficial. We’ll also explore how and if consciousness remains when the wiring breaks down, as in Alzheimer’s, and we’ll discuss our understanding of the age-old question, “what IS consciousness?”
At a TEDxSalon, the format is lecture style. We go deep into one specific TOPIC, with insights from leaders in their field. These salons promote thoughtful inquiry, broadened points of view, and time for a moderated Question and Answer segment between our featured speakers and the audience.
Host/Moderator: Mark Coleman, Mindful meditation teacher, nature guide and author
Speaker: Dr. Helen Weng, PhD, Clinical Psychologist and Neuroscientist, UCSF
Speaker: Dr. Dale Bredesen, Neuroscientist and author of “The End of Alzheimer’s”
Speaker: Cassandra Vieten, PhD, President and Senior Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences
- 6:30pm-7:45pm Attendee Reception - complimentary organic treats, great wines and an innovator showcase (Company and Non-profit demo's).
- 7:30pm Doors open to the theater for live speaking program (general admission seating)
- 8:00pm-9:45pm Speaker Presentations and Q&A with the speakers
- 9:45pm A quick meet and greet with our speakers immediately follows in lobby
- $47.50 (plus fees) Salon Community Pass/Full Event
- $75 (plus fees) TedX Patron Reserved Seating/Full Event
Tickets available for purchase online.
Additional Location or Other Information
Kanbar Center for the Performing Arts is located at 200 N. San Pedro Road, San Rafael, CA 94903.